1.06.2014

hunkered down



snow day friday lead to
ballet saturday
a tea date at Dobra afterwards, she and I

and then, home for the day
bread making, yogurt making
a new favorite cookbook being read hungrily for both the recipes and wonderful stories
(get it, it's wonderful)
I let her watch two episodes of sesame street

thinking about clearing out some old things 
giving space to the new
new things, new energy

the tree is still there though
in the corner
sparkly, still
even though I told her we'd take it down a week ago
tomorrow, maybe

today, friends over for breakfast and then mamas on the couch knitting and talking while the
girls played harmoniously for three hours (big happy sigh)
it was rough at the end there, but that's alright
such is toddlerhood, it seems

today, tomorrow- more snow days
'extreme cold' days, rather (the snow is all gone)
4 degrees tonight, windchill of minus 18

so we're staying hunkered down and
feeding the hungry fire





6 comments:

  1. Ooooh sounds positively cosy. We're in Australia, so it's summer here. I like reading about people living on the other side of the world, it's perverse but I miss the cold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way when I read the blogs from your parts- I see people in bathing suits, picking fruit and I get all confused at first and then it hits me..... oh right, another hemisphere and all. ;)

      Delete
  2. which favorite new cookbook? I'm intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops- didn't mean to possibly come across as vague about it, it's the one in that fourth photo- it's WONDERFUL. you can find it here: http://www.amazon.com/The-Homemade-Pantry-Buying-Making/dp/030788726X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389141591&sr=8-1&keywords=homemade+pantry

      Delete
  3. Our tree is packed and it makes the home feel spacious with both kids home on break. It's the last week though so I'll have an even bigger house when they pack up their books and stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we've taken it in steps just this afternoon, as Claire has been less than thrilled to see it all come down. but now she's ready, and I know I am. we had a chat about how Christmas (and associated items/celebrations/traditions) wouldn't be nearly as special if it were every day. that seemed to do the trick. on with the new years' purge!

      Delete

thanks for taking the time to read and comment~